• Home
  • Visa Information

Visa Information

Information for non-EU students

General Information

Non-EU national participants will need a long-stay visa or a residence permit issued by destination country they will reside in. A short-stay visa is never an appropriate authorisation when the stay exceeds three months.

Sometimes the destination country issues a residence permit replacing the long-stay visa once the non-EU national arrives in its territory. The rules differ depending on the length of the stay and on the country of destination. The EU Immigration Portal contains links to the national authorities of the Programme Countries which are members of the EU.
If participants hold a residence permit or a long-stay visa issued by a Schengen area country, they can move freely within the Schengen area.

Non-EU nationals travelling to a Schengen area country via another Schengen area country must make sure that they have a long-stay visa or residence permit issued by the destination country.
Visa and Entry Regulations for Germany
As an international student you will need a visa to study in Germany. Applicants from EU/EWR nations and from Switzerland are exempt from this regulation. Furthermore, citizens of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea and the United States of America may obtain any residence permit that may be required after entering Germany.

You will need to apply for your visa at the embassy / consulate of the Federal Republic of Germany in your home country. A visa must be applied before arriving in the country (at least 2 months ahead of time!)

Important: International students who have proof of admittance to a German university will be issued a so-called student visa (“Studentenvisum”), most probably Schengen Visa.

It is possible for applicants who are interested in studying in Germany to be issued a study applicant’s student visa (“Studienbewerber-Visum”). This visa enables an applicant to collect information about studying in Germany or to obtain admission prerequisites for studying at a German university.

When applying for the study applicant’s visa you will also have to prove your entitlement to university study, for example with a formal recognition of your previous diploma or degree through the “department for the acknowledgement of certificates”.

Please do not travel to Germany on a tourist visa! This cannot be changed into a student visa, and students are not allowed to study in Germany on a tourist visa.

More comprehensive information regarding visa application requirements is available from the German Embassy or Consulate in your home country. It is extremely important to give correct and complete information regarding your reasons for travelling to Germany (e.g. to study).

For general information click here to see the Website of the Federal Foreign Office: https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/visabestimmungen-node.

and some frequently asked questions:
Visa and Entry Regulations for Austria
If you are a national of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland you need no visa. Applicants from other nations will need a visa to study in Austria.

If you want to study in Austria for no longer than 6 months, you will either need

‒ a travel visa C (“Schengenvisa”): entitles you to stay in Austria an n all other Schengencountries for a maximum of 90 days. It is not necessary if you are allowed to enter Austria without a visa.

‒ a residence visa D (Aufenthaltsvisum D): for stays of at least 91 days up to a maximum of 6 months. Not necessary if you are a Japanese national.

for entry to and residence in Austria.

You have to apply for the visa at the component Austrian representative authority (embassy, consulate-general) before travelling to Austria.
Visa and Entry Regulations for the Netherlands
Nationals of the following countries do not need a visa for the Netherlands: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the United States of America, Vatican City.

All other nations need an MVV (D-Visa), which is an authorization for temporary stay up to 1 year. If you require a visa for the Netherlands, you need to apply for one at the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country or in the country you temporarily live (at least 2 months before your arrival). You cannot get a visa in the Netherlands.